Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tyvek

As part of my environmental impact inventory, I was wondering about Tyvek - specifically, the USPS mailers that I use to ship SERA. I did a little light googling and found that the USPS mailing system has received cradle to cradle certification. This means, roughly, that if dealt with correctly, the material can continue to be reused and cycled without end or "grave". Tyvek is not traditionally recyclable in the same sense as paper or cardboard; it is only recyclable via Dupont who manufacturers Tyvek and Tyvek products (if I knew how to make a trademark symbol, it would be all over this!). Besides this, I was interested in other possible uses of Tyvek. It has a really unique combination of material properties: it feels like paper, but will not rip, and it becomes softer and more fabric-like over time. It also takes printing very well.

Looking further, L. asked about the possibilities of making clothing with Tyvek. Guess what? Lots of people do already! Primarily coveralls for lab work and other "disposable" type garments. There are also several designers working in this medium:



more ideas to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment