
So, I recently applied for a job to be a fashion industry liaison for the National Resources Defense Council. They apparently don't have it so together because they said they wanted to interview me and then went on vacation / never returned my email regarding my availability. Anyhoo, I don't think I would have been that "right" for the job because it sounded like it involved a lot of networking and public speaking (boo), and I took on another freelance job that is keeping me busy.
But I am very interested in promoting the defense of our natural resources! So.... I thought today I could write a little about my resource usage in designing and manufacturing SERA.
1. I work from home, so commuting costs are minimal (mainly coffee).
2. I've been sourcing fabric from a number of jobbers, so I am making use of small amounts of fabric that already exist and are otherwise waste.

3. All my manufacturing is done in the Garment District here in NYC. Most clothes you own are probably made all around the world - primarily China. There are significant costs to the lax environmental and labor regulations these factories work under, as well as the impact of shipping back and forth across the globe. It's amazing what you can find between 40th and 35th streets!


I actually know the people that are sewing these clothes and the conditions they are working in.


4. Recycle. I am committed to recycling the bulk of paper waste created in the design and production process (primarily this is from pattern revision and cutting garments).

5. Reduce. In designing, I am always thinking about the fabric usage - how the pattern will be laid out to minimize waste. I am also working on developing uses for the small amount that is leftover.
all photos from here and here

What an awesome post! This is so interesting, and what you're doing is commendable.
ReplyDelete