I was passing the time on Erica's genius clothing swap website Laws of General Economy, when I came across neckwear for sale that caught my eye from this designer.
It's felt! And it immediately made me think of Pritzker Prize winning architect and all-round badass lady: I give you, Zaha Hadid!
In case that you're not familiar with her work, here are some examples:
Maxxi Museum, Rome
Middle East Centre of St.Antony's College
You may also be familiar with her collaboration with Brazilian shoe brand Melissa
Hadid definitely fits the term "starchitect"; she's as famous for her persona and place in the architecture scene as she is for her built work. Notably, she first came to prominence as a paper architect, for imagining worlds in drawing that had never been realized before. Now her swooping kinetic forms can be seen in the flesh/concrete all around the world.
She also inspires me as I think about the "woman" that I aim to design for: strong, modern, she needs clothing that supports not conflicts with who she is. Clothing design has potential beyond what could be descibed as the "postmodern" referencing of previous eras that is basically the dead end that fashion has been driving toward. Clothing is about the body in space, same as architecture. It does not need to be about the size of one's waist or one's age or being ironic. It can be about form, proportion, color, texture, positive/negative space, gravity, and many other things.
She also inspires me as I think about the "woman" that I aim to design for: strong, modern, she needs clothing that supports not conflicts with who she is. Clothing design has potential beyond what could be descibed as the "postmodern" referencing of previous eras that is basically the dead end that fashion has been driving toward. Clothing is about the body in space, same as architecture. It does not need to be about the size of one's waist or one's age or being ironic. It can be about form, proportion, color, texture, positive/negative space, gravity, and many other things.




No comments:
Post a Comment