Thursday, February 17, 2011

India of the day: men in white




While the women are stereotypically decked out in all the colors of the rainbow, men in India tend to keep it pretty neutral. The most traditional dressers favor white from head to toe. I suppose it is cooler in summer, but I think there is more to it than that.

When I see a person dressed all in white, some words come to mind: minimal, ascetic, mystic. I think of the Hajj, Gandhi, Mother Teresa. Dressing to unify, de-emphasize differences, and to cultivate a common humanity. Despite the impression you may get from the caste system, I heard from many Indians the sentiment that "we're all in this together", and "all are born, all will die".

White looks beautiful against tanned skins, strong sun, and even once old, stained, and torn. It's dignity in clothing.


ps: I met one of the nuns from Mother Teresa's convent. She was way cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment