Thursday, February 17, 2011

India of the day: knitting


I've been at such a loss as to how to sum up my India trip. There are so many individual things I want to share. So I'm going to attempt to do "India of the Day" posts on some of my favorites until I run out of steam.

Let's start, randomly, with a post on knitting!

I had no idea that hand knitting was so common in India. I saw women knitting in windows, doorways, and around corners. I saw yarns being delivered.



And I saw sweater vests, lots of sweater vests. Particularly ones knit from what we here in the US refer to as "novelty yarns" - all things sparkly and fluffy and not something you're likely to see on any man in NYC.




We were there in "winter" - temps ranged from 60-80 degrees during the day and a little colder at night (but not exactly frigid). I'm not sure if it's that they are actually cold, or if they just are celebrating the opportunity to wear layers, but Indians really seem to like to bundle up this time of year. This is especially true when it comes to kids:

1 comment:

  1. I'm afraid only some of those knitted clothes would work on me. The rest would make me look rolly-polly.

    ReplyDelete