Monday, February 8, 2010

makeshift


I recently came across this blog/life project http://makeshiftproject.blogspot.com/
As described by it's designer, "the basic premise for the project is that for a period of one year, I will only wear things that I have made myself."

Does that annoy you a little too? First it was books about the history of the world, told as hinging on some small, previously un-colonized area of study - such as salt, rats, oysters (or guns, germs, and steel). And now there are all these blogs of people submitting themselves to doing something for a year and writing about it - living like Jesus, living like Oprah, cooking like Julia Childs, zero carbon footprint, etc etc etc.

So of course I was skeptical. I mean, its all fine and good and home-y to make your own clothes, but why take it to such an extreme? She's a hobby cobbler now! In fashion, designers are too often annoyingly self-satisfied (or they pretend to be) in proportion to the value of their actual output. I can't say I was impressed by the design ideas, the styling, or the craftsmanship. But what became obvious was that the value of the project is not about anything as superficial as that.

The title of the blog "makeshift" is actually pretty accurate. It's about getting by, making do, the creative use of skills and materials to meet needs. The more posts I read, the more the feeling of joy came through. To be freed from comparing one's designs (and sewing skills) to the cultural or industrial standard, and to derive complete satisfaction from making your own underwear and simply keeping warm. I have to say that it inspires me a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment