

This is fascinating, revolting, ... cute even? My first reaction is to the aesthetic appeal of the collage of variations of one color, creating art out of mundane and garish objects. My second reaction is Holy Crap why do these kids have so much stuff? So much crap? It's incredible what we carry with us through life, use to identify ourselves, value.
This reminds me of another artist that I saw at the MoMA not that long ago, Song Dong. His installation was called "Waste Not" and represented the actual collection of all his mother's belongings from her home in China. Everything is retained for its potential future usefulness and represents a complete picture of the material impact of her life. To me, I find something noble in placing value on objects for their use and simple existence, apart from aesthetic or status identifiers.

This is something I think about in designing and also buying things for myself. I do not want to tie myself to so many things.

No comments:
Post a Comment