Tuesday, August 9, 2011

freehand embroidery

IMG_0695

Sometime last year I decided to take up embroidery and bought this really thorough book on technique with my B&N gift card. I also bought a hoop and some threads, then kind of never did anything with any of it.

But I've been feeling more of an embroidery vibe lately - it has the pleasant monotony of knitting but is more open-ended. So I started kind of freehand embroidering without a plan and ended up making this pillow.

IMG_0700

IMG_0694

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I decided to use the limits of the hoop to define an embroidered zone, which gives it a modern feel to me. I'm thinking of making a few more for the shop if anyone is interested. I have some new yellow linen that I think would look good with only the flower bits. Something cheery for sliding into fall weather!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh I love the contrast of the white thread with the linen, so lovely. We need to catch up, I have a commercial proposal for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take one of these please:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this very appealing and would galdly buy it.

    ReplyDelete